Lunch Amounts

Children need healthy meals to learn. Burlington School District offers healthy meals every school day. Lunch costs $2.10 at BES and $2.35 at BMS and BHS. Your children may qualify for free meals or for reduced price meals. The reduced price is $.40 for lunch, this year they will be free. Breakfast is always free.

Complete one Free and Reduced Price School Meals Application for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. Return the completed application to: Lindsay Smith, 2600 Rose Ave. Burlington, CO. 80807.

Here are answers to questions you may have about applying:

1. Who can receive free or reduced price meals? All children in households receiving benefits from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and children in households that participate in the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) are eligible for free meals regardless of your income. If one case number is provided on the application, free meal benefits will apply to all students listed on the application. Also, your children can receive free or reduced price meals if your household income is within the limits on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines.

2. Can foster children receive free meals? Yes, foster children who are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court are eligible for free meals. Any foster child in the household is eligible for free meals regardless of income. For a household that has foster and non-foster children, the foster child may be listed on the application as a member of the foster family, as this may help other children in the household to qualify for benefits. If the foster family is not eligible for free meals it does not prevent the foster child from receiving free meal benefits.

3. Can homeless, runaway, and migrant children receive free meals? Yes. If you have not already received notification that your child(ren) qualify for free meals, complete the meal application and indicate the child’s status: homeless, runaway, or migrant. In addition call Lindsay Smith 719-346-8737 to see if your child(ren) qualify.

4. Should I fill out an application if I received a letter this school year saying my children are approved for free meals? Please carefully read the letter you received, and follow the instructions. Call your child’s school if you have questions.

5. My child’s application was approved last year. Do I need to fill out another one? Yes. Your child’s application is good only for that school year and for the first few days of this school year. You must send in a new application unless the school told you that your child is eligible for the new school year.

6. I receive benefits from the WIC Program. Can my child(ren) receive free meals? Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals. Please fill out an application.

7. Will the information I give be checked? Yes, and we may ask you to send written proof of the information you give.

8. If I don’t qualify now, may I apply again later? Yes. You may apply at any time during the school year if your household size increases, income decreases, or if you start receiving SNAP or FDPIR. If you lose your job, your children may be able to receive free or reduced price meals if the household income drops below the income limit.

9. What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application? You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to: Shane Walkinshaw 719-346-8737.

10. May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen? Yes. You or your child(ren) do not have to be a US citizen to qualify for free or reduced price meals.

11. Whom should I include as members of my household? You must include all people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives, or friends) who share income and expenses. You must include yourself and all children who live with you. If you live with other people who are economically independent (for example, people whom you do not support, who do not share income with you or your children, and who pay a pro-rated share of expenses), do not include them.

12. What if my income is not always the same? List the amount that you normally receive. For example, if you normally receive $1000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only received $900, put down that you receive $1000 per month. If you normally receive overtime pay, include it, but do not include it if you work overtime only sometimes. If you have lost a job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.

13. We are in the military; do we include our housing allowance as income? If you receive an off-base housing allowance, it must be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income.

14. My spouse is deployed to a combat zone. Is his/her combat pay counted as income? No, if the combat pay is received in addition to his/her basic pay because of his/her deployment and it was not received before he/she was deployed, combat pay is not counted as income. Contact your school for more information.

15. My family needs more help. Are there other programs for which we might apply? To find out how to apply for other assistance benefits, contact your local assistance office. Colorado PEAK is an online service to screen and apply for medical, food, and cash assistance programs. It can be accessed at

16. Is the social security number required? While disclosure of the last 4 digits of a social security number is voluntary, for an application to be approved, the last 4 digits of a social security number or an indication of “none” is required.

If you have other questions or need help, call 719-346-8737.


Lindsay Smith